Daring Greatly

The past week I have been reading a wonderful book by Brene Brown called "Daring Greatly:  How Courage to be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead".

http://www.brenebrown.com/

It is a most wonderful book that I highly recommend and is available for the Kindle :-)

The basic idea of the book is that people are hard-wired for connection... it's why we are here on the planet.  Vulnerability is the core, the heart, the center, of meaningful human experiences.  It is uncertainty, risk, and emotional exposure.  But, it is a necessary part of being human, being alive.  Without these connections and vulnerability, we become disconnected and this leads to depression and suicide and destructive behaviors.  We use this strategy (at least I know that I do) to keep from being too vulnerable..... Keep everyone at a safe distance and always have an exit strategy.

In order to be more connected and vulnerable, based on extensive research, she has come up with the idea of "Whole Hearted Living".  It basically boils down to this....

Let go of:
What people think of you
Prefectionism
Numbing and powerlessness
Scarcity and fear of the dark
Need for Certainty
Comparison
Exhaustion as a status symbol and productivity as self-worth
Anxiety as a lifestyle
Self-doubt and "Supposed to"
Being cool and always in control

The book explains each of these in detail and I am grateful to have found this book as it explains a lot about our culture and personal connections and what we can do to fix them before it is too late.  It is never too late for our selves.  Society is screwed ;-)

I will probably be writing more about this book as I have more to share.  Hopefully at least a few people can take something from this.

Comments

I've heard nothing but good things about that book. I'll have to check it out sometime. Profound advice for us all.
Anne said…
Sounds like a good book. Thanks for recommending it!
I've been charged by my organizer to downsize my books, which I've been working on for at least 8 years, so I'll pass on the book...unless I buy it on my NOOK.

But she has some awesome TED talks and I listen to her often.

Popular posts from this blog